|September 1999||Matador Records||–|
|Press release sent out by Matador Records to promote The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion release Xtra Acme USA. Also sent out with several photocopied articles/reviews and a 10″ x 8″ black and white band photograph.|
|the jon spencer blues explosion
XTRA ACME USA
* “It all packs a surreal wallop. It’s the blues in the land of break beat, and it sounds real, real gone.” –Rolling Stone *
XTRA ACME USA consists of outtakes and remixes from the most recent BLUES EXPLOSION studio album, Acme. This set of stripped-down funk, blues, and rock ‘n’ roll is more diverse than the tracks chosen for the album, with more excursions into scratches, beats and samples, and featuring a wide array of sidemen and producers.
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion have been reconstructing rock ‘n’ roll in their image since their inception in 1991. After the demise of his seminal hatefuck band Pussy Galore. Jon hooked up with Honeymoon Killers drummer Russell Simins and guitar ace Judah Bauer. Their cult of transgressive cool grew bigger with each release–Crypt Style (1992), Extra Width (1993), Orange (1994), The Experimental Remixes EP (1995), and Now I Got Worry (1996).
1. Wait a Minute Recorded by Steve Albini, Mixed by Moby. (Clavinet & Saw: Jeremy Jacobson. Percussion & Bass: Moby)
2. Get Down Lover Recorded by Steve Albini, Mixed with Nick Sansano. (Trumpet: Mark Pender, Saxophone: Jerry Vivino)
3. Confused Recorded by Steve Albini, Mixed by Jim Dickinson
4. Magical Colors (31 Flavors) Recorded by Steve Albini, Mixed with Greg Talenfeld (Piano & Organ: Jeremy Jacobson. Backing Vocals: Talenfeld.)
5. Not Yet Recorded by Suz Dyer. Mixed with Jamey Staub. (Piano: Joey Moskowitz.)
6. Get Old Recorded and Mixed by Calvin Johnson.
7. Bacon Recorded by Suz dyer. Mixed with Nick Sansan and by Chris Shaw. (Violins: Ralph Farris & Krysztof Witek. Cello: Garo Yellin. String Arrangement: Kurt Hoffman.)
8. Blue Green Olga (Remix) Recorded by Suz Dyer, Remixed by Jim Waters, Scott Benzel, and Jack Dangers. (Backing Vocals: Jill Cunniff. Organ: Joel Diamond)
9. Heavy (Remix) Recorded by Suz Dyer, Remixed by Dante Ross and John Gamble, the Stimulated Dummies for SD50 inc. Mixed by Stimulated Dummies and Jamey Staub. (Guitar, Piano, Bass: Gabby Abulruch. Backing Vocals: Dexter Conyers, Lee “Scout” Ford, Jerome “Rome” Cohen and Jason Powell.)
10. Lap Dance (featuring Andre Williams) Recorded by Steve Albini. Mixed with Greg Talenfeld (Vocals: Andre Williams)
11. Leave Me Alone So I Can Rock Again Recorded by Steve Albini and Greg Talenfeld. Mixed with Greg Talenfeld Harmonica: Talenfeld 12. Soul Trance Recorded by Steve Albini, Scott Harding and Greg Talenfeld. Mixed with Scott Harding. (Human Beatbox: Filet o’ Fresh)
13. Electricity Recorded by Steve Albini. Mixed with Nick Sansano.
14. New Year Recorded by Steve Albini. Mixed with Greg Talenfeld.
15. Lovin’ Machine (Automator) Recorded by Steve Albini. Mixed with Greg Talenfeld. (Piano: Greg Foreman.)
16. Chowder Recorded by Steve Albini, Mixed with Nick Sansano (Piano: Greg Foreman.)
17. T.A.T.B. (For the Saints and the Sinners Remix) Recorded by Suz Dyer, Calvin Johnson and Greg Talenfeld. Remixed by David Holmes (with Tim Goldsworthy, Darren Morris and Phil Mossman.)
18. Hell Recorded by Steve Albini. Mixed by Jim Dickinson. (Sitar: Luther Dickinson, Washboard: Cody Dickinson)
19. Calvin (Zebra Ranch) Recorded by Calvin Johnson. Mixed by Jim Dickinson. (Horn Section: Brass Monkey. Special Guest: Othar Turner)
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion will be touring North America in October, starting with the Coachella Music Festival in southern California on October 9.
[Matador logo] Matador Records 625 Broadway, 12th floor NYC 10012 212.995.5882, fax 5883 www.matador.recs.com”