“This album pretty much inspired a whole movie of mine.
It means a lot to me – very special, very influential. I was hearing it as it came out. I’d just moved to London. I think I’d seen them on The Word doing ‘Afro’, which is an amazing TV appearance
If this album just had ‘Bellbottoms’ on it would still be a corker. ‘Bellbottoms’ is pretty much the greatest opening track of any rock album ever – an insistent and stirring widescreen opening. There’s a string quartet playing on it and it sounds immense…
“Not only does ‘Bellbottoms’ open Baby Driver, but Jon is in the movie. Wait till you see ‘Bellbottoms’ in the movie. It’s nuts.”
The double CD and digital versions of the soundtrack will be available in the UK and US from 23 June 2017, the vinyl edition will be available in the US from this date but won’t be available in the UK until 21 July 2017.
01. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion – Bellbottoms
02. Bob & Earl – Harlem Shuffle
03. Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers – Egyptian Reggae
04. Googie Rene – Smokey Joe’s La La
05. The Beach Boys – Let’s Go Away For Awhile
06. Carla Thomas – B-A-B-Y
07. Kashmere Stage Band – Kashmere
08. Dave Brubeck – Unsquare Dance
09. The Damned – Neat Neat Neat
10. The Commodores – Easy (Single Version)
11. T. Rex – Debora
12. Beck – Debra
13. Incredible Bongo Band – Bongolia
14. The Detroit Emeralds – Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms)
15. Alexis Korner – Early In The Morning
16. David McCallum – The Edge
17. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Nowhere To Run
18. The Button Down Brass – Tequila
19. Sam & Dave – When Something Is Wrong With My Baby
20. Brenda Holloway – Every Little Bit Hurts
21. Blur – Intermission
22. Focus – Hocus Pocus (Original Single Version)
23. Golden Earring – Radar Love (1973 Single Edit)
24. Barry White – Never, Never Gone Give Ya Up
25. Young MC – Know How
26. Queen – Brighton Rock
27. Sky Ferreira – Easy
28. Simon & Garfunkel – Baby Driver
29. Kid Koala – Was He Slow (Credit Roll Version) 30. Danger Mouse ft. Run The Jewels and Big Boi – Chase Me*
Brian saw the first cut of Baby Driver last year and immediately enquired about the prospect of releasing the soundtrack through 30th Century Records. As I was finishing up the movie and putting the 29-track soundtrack together, Brian had the idea to do a remix based on the opening track of the movie; “Bellbottoms” by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Its apt that we used this song as a jumping off point as the nascent idea of Baby Driver came to me in a dream after listening to “Orange” a hell of a lot when I was 21. And on top of that both Killer Mike & Big Boi make brief cameos in this Atlanta set movie, drinking with Kevin Spacey’s crime boss at a fancy ATL eatery. I’m thrilled how “Chase Me” turned out, a great collision of five of my favourite artists.
Edgar showed me a cut of the movie last year and I loved the Atlanta connection. I’ve been doing more Hip Hop stuff recently, so I bugged both RTJ and Big Boi to jump on it. We’ve all known each other for years and talked about working together before so I’m really glad this could happen now.
More info on the track from 30th Century Records:
“Award-winning producer and artist, Danger Mouse, will release the soundtrack for Edgar Wright’s highly anticipated film, Baby Driver, on his Columbia Records imprint 30th Century Records this June. The soundtrack for the music-heavy film, titled Music From The Motion Picture Baby Driver, boasts 30 multi-genre tunes in total, including 29 rare tracks and deep cuts, as well as one original song created by Danger Mouse specifically for Baby Driver.
Today, Danger Mouse released the aforementioned original song, Chase Me” ft. Run the Jewels and Big Boi. The guest features on the song make for the perfect film tie in, as both Killer Mike of Run the Jewels and Big Boi have small but memorable appearances in Baby Driver. “Chase Me” samples “Bellbottoms” by Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and features additional production from Run The Jewels El-P.
Debuting on Pitchfork, “Chase Me” ft. Run The Jewels and Big Boi serves as an original composition created specifically for the film. “Chase Me” ft. Run the Jewels and Big Boi is now available on all digital sales providers.” – 30thcenturyrecords.com